By Jonathan Chandra ’19
Update: Power has returned across campus and HUD residents have been cleared to return to their dorms.
As of 11:50 p.m., Bromley residents have been cleared to return to their dorms after evacuation due to a generator fire, though most HUD residents have been told to find alternate sleeping space for the night.
Lewis, Chase, Evans, Wilson and Bromley Hall had previously been evacuated at around 11 p.m. earlier in the night, after a generator caught fire on the Ferrin side of Bromley. Gordon Police, as well as the Wenham Fire Department and Wenham Police, were on the scene.
Brianna Kowolenko ’19, was among the first alert to the situation at around 10:40 p.m. She recounted to the Tartan what she had told an officer asking for information.
“I heard a loud pop, the lights went out, went over to the window, smelled a horrible smell, looked down and saw a fire,” she said.
“We yelled to Antonio [Vargas ’19, Senior AC of Bromley] and said there’s a fire and then the fire alarm was pulled and we got taken out.”
As the backup generator in lower campus is out, Lewis, Evans, and Wilson residents have been told by the college to sleep in friends’ rooms or to use lounges in Ferrin, Chase, Fulton, Nyland and the Village. GCSA has sent a campus-wide email encouraging students to house each other.
Power remains in other resident halls and in nonresidential building, although wi-fi is out across campus.
The Tartan will update this story as it unfolds.
Leave a Reply