May 25, 2019

Globes Celebrates Gordon’s Student Filmmakers

by Catherine Pastoor ('21, Arts & Life Editor)

Megan Hammes plays a comedic ballad - Photo by Jacob Moniz

An event known for its class and creativity, the 2019 Gordon Globes did not disappoint. On February 22nd, hundreds of beautifully dressed students gathered in the Chapel to celebrate and appreciate the artistic talents of their peers, with screenings and previews of student films in the categories of Adventure, Drama, iPhone, Documentary, Music Video, and Comedy.  

Buffeting the night along with the films were the hosts, Megan ‘19 and Nick Hammes ‘16, a pair of Gordon student-alum siblings whose hosting flair was substantiated by their love of theater and music. With parody renditions on The Book of Mormon, Hamilton, and Dear Evan Hansen to kick off their night of cultural spinoffs, the Hammes siblings fostered a drama conflict, playing on the tension between the the performers in the spotlight and the underappreciated workers in the tech booth. The hosts of last year’s Gordon Globes, Wislene Augustin ‘19 and Nigesca Maxime ‘19 also made an appearance.

Nick Hammes, Gordon Globes’ first ever alumni host Photo by Jacob Moniz

The night began with the Adventure category, which included “Sendies” by Erik Holvik and the winning film, “Kook of the Day,” a film about the narrator and his friends attempting to catch surfable waves in the cold waters of Massachusetts.

During the Drama category, the audience previewed submissions such as Outcry, Prodigal, and the winner, “Objects in Motion,” a film about verbal and emotional abuse directed by Jessica Mabanglo. “I was nervous to have the film show since this was the first time it would be premiering in front of an audience of more than two people. I wanted to tackle a subject that we don’t talk about a lot here on campus: domestic violence, specifically verbal abuse,” said Mabanglo.

“I took real moments from my own, and others’ lives about being trapped in these kinds of relationships… and I wanted to capture the real devastation of being so tied to our abusers. Because of the nature of this film, I was a bit restless all evening, but was very happy to have my DP and my lead actress with me that night.”

The new iPhone category had the most submissions to choose from, including “Zeke’s Hacks for Sweet Snacks,” “Isaiah Eats 100 Nuggs,” “We Love Michael Mitts,” “Laura’s Total Drama Makeover,” and “Jack and Jack Reacts”. Davis Modarelli’s “We Love Michael Mitts” took first place. The film is a voyeuristic appreciation of Michael Mitts, a Gordon sophomore and RA at Lewis Hall, walking, running, and existing on campus. “Last year there was a category titled ‘shorts.’ There were no videos submitted to it, so Caleb Bae ‘18 and I made three videos, which were actually just ads for the yearbook, and other things I’m involved in,” says Modarelli. “I won with a video we made in about two hours. This year I noticed that once again there were no videos submitted in the category, so my friends and I made six.”

The category for documentary films included “End the R Word,” “Artist Concentration,” “A Lifter’s Legacy,” and “Through the Eyes”. The winner was David Bello’s “Artist Concentration”, a look at the background and viewpoint of Boston-Based photographer Nick Guadagno. “Watching last year’s films inspired me to film more, so much to the point that I was able to win an award for it this year. Thank you CEC and CTS for putting on an amazing event!” Bello said at Globes.

Two videos faced off in the Music category: Nick Cannella’s “Coast to Coast” and “Shake it Off with Physical Plant” by Susannah Henry. First place went to “Coast to Coast” a brilliantly colorful music video showcasing the beauty of both New York and Los Angeles set to energetic trap music.

The Comedy category concluded the night, with hilarious submissions such as “5-Star,” “Brick,” “Green Monster,” “Stu’s Kitchen,” “The Green Monster,” and “The Social Club”. The winner, “Green Monster” is about a furry green creature who lives a lonely life in the woods surrounding Gordon College. Director Emily Bianchine was not present at the event.  “I was away filming for my senior thesis when I got a FaceTime call from one of my friends,” Said Bianchine, “I opened it to see video of my friends going up to accept the award in my honor, I was honestly shocked my video won.”

The winner of the People’s Choice Award was decided by text-voting between the six Globes category winners. The final winner was Cannella’s video, “Coast to Coast.”

“I was honored as it is to get to show my work on the big screen in front of my peers and professors,” said Cannella, “but winning ‘Best Music Video’ and ‘People’s Choice Award’ was a dream. I owe it all to Him.”

The hosts, Nick and Megan Hammes, introduce the show Photo by Jacob Moniz

The event concluded with the hosts reconciling their conflict, and the crowd of fabulously-dressed students was dismissed. Gordon Globes is a highly anticipated event with high importance in the minds of students, and some students have expressed dissatisfaction with the pacing and structure of the event. Many wonder why only the winning films are screened at Globes. Opinions about how globes should be run are numerous. The student filmmakers had mixed feelings. “The event itself was lively and fun. The lighting design of the stage was probably my favorite part–I think we often miss the little things that make a show so visually entertaining,” says Jes Mabanglo, “There are some things I would change about Globes, structure-wise, for future years, just in efforts to make it an event that better honors storytellers and the aspiring filmmakers on campus, and take this medium more seriously. It has helped me a bit, however, to take a step back and realize we are all just students, with no professional experience, trying our best to put on a good night. And I feel like it was one.”

Davis Modarelli had similar criticisms, but urged students to take their suggestions directly to CEC. He said: “In my personal opinion, I think the event would have been far more enjoyable had the rest of campus seen Isaiah finish eating his nuggs, but I have already discussed my qualms with CEC in person, which I see as a more effective strategy for change than attempting public outcry.”

CEC co-directors Monteiro and Vargas announce Golden Goose hosts Photo by David Bello

But the overarching goal of everyone involved with Gordon Globes is that the hard work of student filmmaker’s are allowed the honor they deserve.

“It was a great privilege to be able to work with such hard working, dedicated, creative and passionate people,” says CEC director Isabelle Monteiro. “Starting from our talented filmmakers that poured their heart, soul, and countless hours into their incredible masterpieces, to CEC that provided the creative vision, to CTS that provided the amazing technicality, to the hosts that brought energy and creativity, none of it would’ve been possible without everyone’s contribution. Like any of our events, CEC has ways to improve in following years, but we love this tradition that honors filmmakers, their creativity and their willingness to share their story and imagination.”

Be the first to comment